Will My Child Have to Change Schools?

March 31, 2015 | By Stephanie H. Winegrad

In Pennsylvania, a child is entitled to attend the public school in the district where the child resides.  When parents live in different districts due to separation or divorce, a child will attend school in the district of residence of the parent with whom the child lives for a majority of the time.  If a parent wishes the child to remain in or move to his or her district and the child does not live with that parent for the majority of the time, the child may attend school in that parent’s district pursuant to a court order or a court approved custody agreement. When a child spends equal time with both parents, the parents may choose which of the two school districts the child will attend.  However, if one parent wants to remove the child from a current school district, absent an agreement of the parties, that parent must obtain approval from the court.

Categorized In: Custody, Relocation

About the Authors

Stephanie Winegrad - Conshohocken family law attorney

Stephanie H. Winegrad


Conshohocken Family Law Attorney Stephanie is a partner in the firm’s Family Law practice group, and has more than 25 years of experience in family law matters. As a highly skilled and...

Read More by Author